Friday, May 21, 2010

Recipe: Lentil & Olive Spaghetti

I discovered this recipe in the October 2009 issue of Good Taste magazine and it has become a bit of a family favourite. My kids are as wild about olives as they are blue cheese, so there is always much excitement when this dish is placed in front of them. It is a terrific alternative to bolognese or a plain tomato pasta sauce. I also like it as I usually have the ingredients in the pantry (and fresh mint growing in the garden), so it's especially quick and easy.

For some reason, I never seem to be able to find this recipe on the taste.com.au website, so I thought I would post the recipe here.

Lentil & Olive Spaghetti

Serves 4

2 tbs olive oil
2 large brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbs tomato paste
1 x 800g can chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
100g pitted kalamata olives
1/2 bunch fresh mint, chopped
375g dried spaghetti pasta (or similar - as you can see from the picture, I also use linguine)
grated parmesan cheese to serve

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until golden. Add tomato paste, tomato, lentils and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the olives and mint.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following pack directions. Drain. Combine the pasta and sauce in the pan. Divide among serving bowls and top with some grated parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment