Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Book Review: "Wild Knitting"

This is a big call, I know, but I believe I have in my posession the best knitting book ever written...


Published in 1979, "Wild Knitting" really has something for everyone. Here are some of my (many) favourites:

For that special man in your life, the "Pastoral Pullover"...

It's a bit hard to see the level of detail in the photo, the accompanying illustration shows the full detail...

.
The introduction to the pastoral pullover pattern claims that the jumper "enables you to blend in with the landscape", something that you couldn't do with another wonderful pattern from the book, the aptly named "Forget-me-not Bikini"...


That picture fascinates me - what's with the bloke in the top corner???

"Wild Knitting" also has the animal lover covered, with the "Armadillo Wrap", which promises that you can "be beautiful without being cruel"...


For the homemaker, there is the "Cactus in Pot" and "Secret Garden" patio floor rug (complete with tufts of grass), which allows you to "enjoy summer all the year round"...


As is the case with most knitting books, there is a plethora of stunning fashion choices in "Wild Knitting" to enable us ladies to step out in spectacular style, no matter what the occasion. My favourite would have to be the "Silver Dress"...


Why is she holding a cane in that photo?

If the silver dress is not sexy enough for you, there are also patterns for a lingerie set, including a lacy camisole top, frilly knickers, stockings, and a suspender belt...


The man in that photo is rather creepy, don't you think? I bet he owns the cane that the silver dress lady is holding.

The kids haven't been forgotten in this book, either. The "End Games" section at the end of the book suggests that knitted props and accessories "make interesting objects when displayed on shelves in odd corners to surprise, and when used by children for dressing up and in games". The knitted props and accessories referred to are a mouse and a wedge of cheese, knitted lipstick, and these...


Yes, that is a pattern for a knitted pack of cigarettes and a cigarette lighter! I can't help but giggle at the idea of sending one of my kids to school with these...what would the teachers/other parents think? Whilst there is no photo of the finished cigarettes on the page with the pattern, if you look closely you can find some strategically placed items in many of the photos throughout the book, like this:


You might also have spotted the silver dress lady holding the knitted lipstick as well.

There are many other outrageous patterns in "Wild Knitting", and while the chances of me actually making anything from the book are infinitesimal, it is a joy to flick through the pages and be reminded of how much our world has changed in the last 30 years!

4 comments:

  1. LOL that has made my day! too funny :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious, Kate!! Thankyou for causing me snort into my lunch with laughter, it was one of the best reads I've had in ages!
    I just can't seem to draw my eyes away from the 'Pastoral Pullover'...

    I love rifling through old sewing/knitting books in op shops (did so just this morning). I am always fascinated by the shapes of the garments and the colour choices. Your book takes the cake though! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, that's hilarious! Though many of those photos are, frankly, creepy. What the hell is that guy in the lingerie shot looking at? Or do I not want to know? Don't you love how everything in the 70's seemed to have overtly sexual overtones? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls :)

    Christine - oddly enough, I can imagine you in the Pastoral Pullover ;-) I've just realised that in the picture, the yellow pom pom on top of the beanie is cut off...really sets off the whole outfit!

    Julie - I don't think any of us want to know what that creepy guy is looking at! Maybe he dropped his knitted cigarette somewhere? Or perhaps he is looking for his cane? You're right about the overt sexual overtones in the 70's...I hadn't really thought about that before. At least back then it was directed towards adults, rather than children like it seems to be these days!

    ReplyDelete