Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kitten Update

I just thought I would give you all a quick update on how our poor little kittens are going.  It has now been a week since we discovered that the red, bald patch on Pierre's face was ringworm.  Both kittens have now been isolated/imprisoned in our laundry for a whole week.  On Monday, Pierre was showing symptoms of cat flu and was deteriorating fast (he had already recovered from a bout of cat flu before we adopted him, which is probably why he got ringworm as his immune system has been compromised).  I started him on a course of antibiotics straight away and that seems to have done the trick, as his runny nose and heavy breathing seem to have disappeared.  The bald patch on his face looks a lot better now too - nowhere near as red as it had been.  So it looks like we might be winning the fight against ringworm and cat flu (for now at least)!  Poor Pierre now has a really bloated tummy, so I hope that is not going to cause any more problems for him.


Let me out!!

Miss Kitty still has no sign of ringworm or cat flu, thank goodness.  However, just to keep us on our toes even more, she has diarrhoea!  We think this might be related to her diet.  So now I feel like the meanest pet owner in the world, because not only do I have to keep them locked up, force tablets down their throats 2-3 times a day, and shampoo them once a week, I now have to limit her to dry food only!  The vet has advised us that it would be best to keep them isolated until the weekend, to help reduce the risk of the kids getting ringworm.  So hopefully come Sunday, this will get a little easier.


And here I was thinking that having kittens would be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment