Thursday, July 1, 2010

Challenge: Read a Book Every Month


 I love to read, but I have found that since having children my reading has been largely limited to picture books (most of which I could recite by heart, I've read them so many times) and the odd "Famous Five".  I am also one for setting myself difficult challenges.  Now that all of my kids are finally good sleepers, I decided to make a New Year's resolution in which I will challenge myself to read at least one book every month.   I also extended the challenge to include only books that I have never read before.  At first I intended the challenge to mean I had to start and finish the book within the calendar month, but I ended up relaxing this so that I simply need to read 12 books in one year (although I do still aim to start and finish one within the month, as it makes it easier for me to keep track of where I'm up to).

I'm now six months into the challenge and I have managed to read 8 books so far...
  1. "Vile Bodies" by Evelyn Waugh - not his best, but amusing nevertheless
  2. "Time's Arrow" by Martin Amis - really clever and memorable book, as the story is written in reverse!
  3. "The Haunted Hotel" by Wilkie Collins - he was the original master of suspense...couldn't put it down!
  4. "Atonement" by Ian McEwan - such a beautiful, tragic story
  5. "Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut - found it a bit hard to follow, but it was pretty good
  6. "Emma" by Jane Austen - would recommend this to anyone suffering from insomnia!  It's charming, though.
  7. "Carry On, Jeeves" by PG Wodehouse - very funny, everyone needs a Jeeves in their lives!
  8. "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury - struggled a bit with this.  Love the concept, though.
So I'm on target...and loving it!  I had forgotten how much I loved the feeling of reaching the end of one novel, placing it back on the bookshelf, and choosing another.  And not to mention, it's so much more rewarding than watching TV!  Mmmm...that gives me an idea for another challenge.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment