Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Homemade Laundry Powder


About a year ago, I decided to try and eliminate as many chemicals from our house as possible. When researching chemical-free options, I stumbled on Julie's blog Towards Sustainability, which has lots of fantastic recipes and ideas. Along with the bicarb soda shampoo idea, this recipe for Laundry Powder was top of my list for things to try. I have now been using my homemade laundry powder in my front loader for about a year, and it is fantastic! I just make it up using the washing soda and soap flakes (I don't have the time or energy to grate the soap myself!). I haven't found the need to include Borax or stain remover soap. I put white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser every now and then to help prevent soap buildup in my machine (sometimes I might add a drop or two of lavender essential oil for fragrance, but this isn't necessary as there is no lingering vinegar scent at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment